Escambia County Public Safety is currently monitoring the forecast of Winter Storm 2014 for any expected impacts to our area. The Emergency Operations Center will be participating in a National Weather Service conference call at 5 p.m. Following the conference call, Escambia County officials will evaluate conditions and issue an updated statement. A local state of emergency is to begin at 12 a.m. Tuesday, January 28. At this time, residents should be preparing for the possibility of icy conditions on local roads and bridges.
Local residents are encouraged to stay home and off roadways through the duration of this weather event and should take the following precautionary steps before the severe weather arrives:
- Review your disaster plan and prepaid for freezing temperatures
- Prepare your disaster kit to include water, clothing, medications and other necessary items.
- For more tips, log onto www.bereadyescambia.com and be sure to follow Escambia County Emergency Management on Twitter @bereadyescambia.
The following closures have been announced for Tuesday, January 28, and Wednesday, January 29:
- Escambia County Board of County Commissioners offices
- Escambia County Clerk of Court and Comptroller, all Clerk locations
- Escambia County Property Appraiser
- Escambia County School District
- Natural Resources Damage Assessment (NRDA) meeting scheduled for the Bay Center at 6 p.m. on Tuesday.
- Navy Boulevard Corridor Management Plan meeting scheduled for the Lexington Terrace Community Center at 6 p.m. on Tuesday.
- Development Review Committee meeting scheduled for Wednesday at Central Office Complex at 1 p.m. and has been rescheduled for Wednesday, February 5, at 1 p.m.
Additional information will be released as it becomes available.