Electronics and Household Hazardous Waste (HHW) or household chemical waste is collected year round at the Perdido Landfill for no charge for Escambia County residents. We also collect HHW and Electronics for no charge at quarterly Regional Roundups for Escambia County residents. We do not accept any material from businesses. These materials cannot go into the trash because they are toxic and may contaminate local water sources. For more information call (850) 937-2160.
Recycling and Sanitation
Benefits of Recycling
Recycling turns materials that would otherwise become waste into valuable resources. Collecting used bottles, cans, and newspapers and taking them to the curb or to a collection facility is just the first in a series of steps that generates a host of financial, environmental, and social returns. Some of these benefits accrue locally as well as globally.
- Recycling protects and expands US manufacturing jobs and increases US competitiveness.
- Recycling reduces the need for landfilling and incineration.
- Recycling prevents pollution caused by the manufacturing of products from virgin materials.
- Recycling saves energy.
- Recycling decreases emissions of greenhouse gases that contribute to global climate change.
- Recycling conserves natural resources such as timber, water, and minerals.
- Recycling helps sustain the environment for future generations.
Click here to view a calendar of Escambia County events, which includes Regional Roundup dates and more.
The Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) recently announced that the Escambia County Perdido Landfill has been named the winner of the SWANA Bronze Excellence Award in the Communication, Education and Marketing Tools category.
The Department of Solid Waste Management (DSWM) operates a Drop-Off Recycling Program in Escambia County, Florida. The primary goal is to conserve natural resources and to reduce energy consumption by recycling selected materials. All single family homes in Escambia County can receive curbside recycling, but many multi-family dwellings and businesses do not have this option or may have large amounts and sizes of cardboard.
13009 Beulah Road
Cantonment, FL 32534
Hours of operation Monday – Saturday 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Many people ask how they can avoid having and using household hazardous waste in their homes. Here are a few tips on avoiding HHW items and some easy recipes for safe and environmentally-friendly alternatives.
- Avoid Aerosol Containers
- Read the Label
- Use non-toxic products instead of chemicals
- De-chlorinate swimming pool and spa water prior to discharging
Safe, environmentally-friendly alternative recipes: