Elected in 2012, Commissioner Steven Barry is a native of District 5 who attended McArthur Elementary, Ransom Middle School and Tate High School, where he played baseball for the Aggies. He continued to play baseball for the Argonauts while attending the University of West Florida, graduating Cum Laude with a degree in Financial Accounting. During high school and college, Commissioner Barry worked at his family’s business, Smokey’s Bar-B-Que, located at 6475 Pensacola Boulevard.
Commissioner Barry is a Certified Financial Planner ™, who has operated an office in Cantonment for the past decade. He has been recognized by the United Planners Financial Services with an “Outstanding Office Award” each year since 2008 and is a recipient of the University of West Florida’s “Outstanding Young Alumnus Award” in 2012. The “Outstanding Young Alumnus Award” is presented in recognition of the positive impact of his accomplishments, as well as his commitment to enhancing the university and the community.
Commissioner Barry and his wife, Ellen, recently celebrated their first anniversary, along with their ten-year old Jack Russell terrier, Casey.
- Escambia County Commissioner, November 2012 - Present
- Escambia County Planning & Zoning Board, 2008 - 2012
- Escambia County Citizens Environmental Committee, 2008 - 2012
- Chair, Escambia County Fire Services Citizens Advisory Committee, 2007
- Escambia County Public Schools Foundation, November 2005 – Present
- Pensacola-Escambia Development Commission (PEDC), 2010 – 2012
- Rotary Club of Cantonment, Paul Harris Fellow, 2004 – Present
- Miracle League of Northeast Pensacola, 2004 – Present
- Pace Center for Girls, Board of Trustees, 2005 – 2011
- Covenant House Leadership Council, 2007
- Bachelor of Arts, University of West Florida, Financial Accounting. Graduated Cum Laude